Friday, 1 April 2016

The Sound of Fear



THE SOUND OF FEAR

Tick. Tock.
Tick. Tock.
The time might change but the sound never does.
I thought you would have learned that by now.

* * * A NOTE ON HUMANS * * *
Learning is not their strong suit.

You can disagree with me all you like. It really wouldn’t bother me. Many have tried before, and truly I must commend them for their valiant effort, but as they tug the rope harder I only end up closer to them. Human beings are funny like that. No matter how many times I tell this story, you force me to try it again. You could read five hundred pages and still make the same mistakes. And believe me, the writing isn’t the problem. I should know. I don’t mean to inflate my own ego, but really, don’t we all deserve some praise? In my line of work I’ll take what I can get.

* * * A STERN REMINDER * * *
World War II happened.
Millions lost their lives to prejudice.
We remembered the lives.
We forgot the lesson.

You should know that I am not blaming you personally. Please, don’t get up. Kick off your shoes. Relax. Have a drink. You have a roof over your head, a meal on your plate, and an abundance of free time. Why not relish in it? In fact, why not protect it? Hold it close. Guard it. That’s what people do.

* * * A LIST OF PLACES * * *
Syria
Afghanistan
Iraq

Once again I find myself exhausted. Needless to say, I have been busy. Especially busy. The kind of busy that pulls out your hair and blackens your eyes. I know what you are thinking. Haven’t I been here before? With the length of time I have been doing this job, you would think I’d be an expert. Well I’m not. Not this time. You know about the war, and the colours, and about my vacation into the world of distraction. You even know about Liesel Meminger. No, this time is different.

It’s the leftover humans.
The survivors.

The noise. That ungodly, unbearable noise. I taste their screams in the embrace of every family member carried away, no matter how hard I clench my teeth. Bloodshed is loud. Sobbing is deafening. A huddled mass of footsteps searching for a safer path. Like smoke, fleeing from the hell of wildfire. It dissipates until there is nothing left.

* * * A LIST OF NUMBERS* * *
Syria - 367,500 Refugees
Afghanistan - 174,000 Refugees
Iraq - 138, 500 Refugees

No comments:

Post a Comment